Sunday, July 7, 2013

MONEY doesn't talk...

Rock 'n' Rolling Stone Sunday:

I was going to take a picture of our winter garden looking lovely lit by the morning sun, tough winter flowers of various pretty names and faces doing their sweet staunch thing, then it thought, no. An ageing rocker's audacious fingers to all that is vain and pompous in our world better captures my mood, as the nasty neighbour's head off for church to get their weekly fix of all-is-forgiven narcotic.

Lust for Life @ 66
Now, I can't pretend to know diddley about Iggy Pop's music, although in my capacity as lead singer for a part-part-part-time ageing rock-pop-funk band in which my rock 'n' rolling husband plays guitar, I did attempt to cover his classic single 'Lust for Life' - and failed miserably. However, all was not lost. Along the way I learnt to respect the guy. In this recent Rolling Stone interview I think I found the key to the man's rock 'n' roll lust for life in his punchline: "I didn't do this expecting to make money...This is my teenage dream. That's still the glory of it." And he means it. 

Dylan of course said "Money doesn't talk, it swears" which, ironically, rock 'n' rollers do rather a lot of, too. The difference is that when MONEY swears there's no censorship and everybody gets royally fucked. 

Again, the key details of the modern manifestation of this collective fucking are provided in this edition of RS in the long and well-researched article on the big bad banks: 'Everything is Rigged', the conspiratorialists - including my 20-year-old son - were right. Because, in short: "When prices are set by companies (owned by banks) that can profit from them, we're fucked." I can't help thinking that if MONEY swore like that, namely in a rock 'n' roll fashion aimed at telling it like it is, ties and suits off, we wouldn't have a problem.    


2 comments:

  1. Another great ‘money’ quote from Mr Pop: “A lot of young musicians get the money at the wrong time. They get it for something they don't feel great about, and it'll make you feel so bad it'll destroy you and kill you.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. We really don't know enough about the psychology of getting and living rich. One more thing we have to learn from the musos...

    ReplyDelete